Oh, the drama!

April 10, 2011 | By Brent Almond | LESSONS LEARNED

After Dame Liz’s passing, there were lots of photos of her looking like this:

But none looking like this, the role that won her 1 of her 2 Oscars:

Which got me thinking… JJ has recently been venturing into drama queen/temper tantrum/terrible twos territory (as evidenced by this photo). However, I want to come up with a better, more creative nickname for him other than “Drama Queen.”

So help me out movie fans ā€” who’s your favorite Screen Drama Queen? I’m talking scene-stealing, dish-breaking, fit-throwing, over-the-top campiness. By nicknaming JJ after a melodramatic movie maven, I figure I can instill in him a valuable knowledge of classic cinema, while also giving him a complex. And ā€” I admit ā€” entertaining myself.

I’ll post the winning nickname(s) next Monday, April 18th.

comments

9 responses to “Oh, the drama!”

1. Yony says:

“Rhoda Penmark”

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although that would also imply that he’s evil.

Okay, I don’t know if this makes me a bad gay, but I had to look that up… see, someone’s already learned something!

But “Rhoda Penmark” definitely rolls off the tongue nicely! šŸ™‚

2. Yony says:

DUDE… have you never seen that movie??? YOU HAVE TO WATCH IT!!! She is evil incarnate and total drama queen! The Bad Seed. Muhahahahaha!

I’ve never seen it, but was aware of it. Just didn’t know the character name. I’ll put it on Netflix right now! šŸ™‚

3. Bryan says:

I was thinking Shirley MacLaine or Sally Field, but you really can’t beat Rhoda Penmark. Mary Tilford (Karen Balkin) is another good one.

I guess I could call him “Nora Walker” but it sounds too stuffy, and not dramatic enough. šŸ™‚

But who the heck is Mary Tilford? I’m gonna go look her up, BRB… okay, ANOTHER scary little girl character? C’mon, I was hoping for some Alexis Carringtons or Sally Bowles or Rosemary Woodhouses. No more pigtailed psychopaths, okay? šŸ™‚

But thanks to you (like Yony) for teaching me another cinematic lesson…

And before you say it, NO NELLIE OLESEN! šŸ™‚

4. Bryan says:

Wait, you haven’t seen Children’s Hour?? It’s historic for gay cinema!! MUST WATCH!!