MIM: The second life of socks

January 9, 2011 | By Brent Almond | DESIGN STUFF, LESSONS LEARNED

A couple of months ago I was going through JJ’s clothes to see what didn’t fit any longer (an almost weekly activity), dividing things into three piles: nice enough to sell on consignment, okay to take to Goodwill, or chuck it.

This particular session I ended up with a rather substantial pile of socks. Not suitable for consignment, and too darn precious to throw away, My Inner Martha (MIM) chimed in… “Hold on to them! I’m sure you can find a creative use for these down the road!” I’m not sure what MIM thought I might craft from a dozen pairs of baby socks — Finger puppets? A gigantic pot holder? Barbie tube tops? (Hey, that’s actually a good one…) In any event, there they sat, on my desk, for weeks on end…

Then one day in late November we were frantically packing for a trip to visit relatives. We were flying (during the Thanksgiving holiday, no less. NEVER AGAIN.) and wanted to make sure we had plenty of food for JJ in case we were delayed or stranded. As I stared at the disturbing amount of crap packed into our suitcases, I was particularly concerned about the half dozen loose baby food jars scattered amongst the clothes. Then I remembered my pile of future Barbie tops… and voilà!

Tucked snugly inside their own little sweaters, the baby food made it safely (and in style) to our destination  — and the socks lived to serve another purpose!

However, I only used 3 pair of the dozen+ pairs I had. Does anyone have a crafty (or just useful) suggestion for further reincarnation? Other than trashy Barbie clothes?

comments

10 responses to “MIM: The second life of socks”

1. Colleen says:

Brilliant.

I might save a few of each size to eventually do a shadow box of growing feet … a la Darcy Miller (MS Wedding Editor)

2. Brent M. Almond says:

Great idea, Colleen! And that sounds a lot more personal and sentimental than an old-school bronzed pair of shoes. 🙂

3. Stephanie says:

Well, you could do what I’m apparently doing. Keep them in a closet in a bin until it’s laughable how long you’ve avoided dealing with them.

Seriously though, my mom kept a bunch of my baby clothes and made an awesome crazy quilt out of them for my kids. Socks would make a perfect backing for something like that.

LOL – that’s what I figured was going to happen, and probably will for many other things!

Would love to see pics of the crazy quit!!!

4. Anne B says:

Hmmm – maybe put some good smelling stuff inside and use as sachets in drawers or in the car. Or, put some foot powder in them and tie them up and put inside sneakers and other shoes to keep them smelling fresh? And they’ll make you smile every time you see them.

5. Lisa says:

I love Earths Best baby food too!! I also have about a million socks and had no clue what to do with them until now! I LOVE both the quilt and the saving one of each size and doing a shadow box later (possibly for him when he hits 21 or something.. and then I could put a little shot glass in each one, because if he is truly my son.. Well you know!) You can also use them to make bean bags if you put the beans in plastic baggies and then in the socks and then sew them up at the top. My friend did this for her boys and they play with them all the time!

We have a huge shot glass collection that’s been gathering dust in the basement, with the idea that someday we’ll finish the basement and put in a bar and display them there. HA!

I like the beanbag idea too. Sounds like maybe a fun cat toy, too! 🙂

6. Kate says:

Brent, Hey! Check out John Murphy’s book, Stupid Sock Creatures. I bought it years ago, and it was the inspiration for many a crazy sock friend/fiend. I liked your idea for cushioning the baby food jars. Happy 2011 to you and your guys!

7. Brent M. Almond says:

Kate, that book looks awesome! I even found on Amazon where it comes with a kit

Great suggestion, and Happy New Year to you in Finland! Onnellista uutta vuotta!