My Baby’s First…

May 5, 2013 | By Brent Almond | DESIGN STUFF, LESSONS LEARNED, THINGS MY KID DIGS

If you’re a normal parent (or just otherwise normal) you probably finished this post’s title with the word “word.” Or if you’re the motivated type, the word “step.” Perhaps “tooth,” for the orally fixated. But it takes a special breed of parent to remember their child’s first logo.

I’ve met a lot of other dads in recent months, thanks largely in part to a Facebook group of Dad Bloggers. Among them are several sports nuts, a battalion of Star Wars fanatics, a few Lego freaks — all of which are hoping to pass their passions on to their offspring. While there’s definitely some overlap with many of the other dads, my love and appreciation of design — and where it mashes up with marketing and pop culture — is tops on my list.

From the onset of JJ’s visual development, I’ve kept a mental list (oh alright, an actual list) of the logos and brands he’s recognized on his own. Had he the memory capacity or verbal skills at the time, he might recall differently… but I’m pretty sure THIS is the first brand my kiddo knew:

starbucks-coffee-logo

If I have to explain the significance of the above logo and the role it’s played in my life these last three or so years, you’ve clearly never been or met a new parent.

There were many more predictable brandmarks along the way, particularly those that contributed to JJ being fed, clothed or hooked up with superheros:

essentials

Which leads me to these essential symbols, which were drilled into his brain committed to memory from a very young age:

superheroes

And then there are products that are an integral part of his life, but whose names are either difficult for JJ to say, or just don’t make any sense. These he knows only by the unique (and often more logical) descriptors he’s given them…

descriptors

(AKA: Daddy’s Car, Papa Juice, iPad and BIG M!)

To wrap up — one more in the “descriptor” category, and my personal favorite — Daddy Logo:

daddy-logos

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

So what unique “first” sticks out in your memory? The first time your child chose store brand over generic? First time they danced around to your favorite hair metal band? First sip of Pinot? Please share in the comments!

10 Responses to “My Baby’s First…”

1. Ustreetmike says:

I wish there was a way i could paste this image here :P

2. Mike says:

I think my son’s first logo was the Old English D of the Detroit Tigers, and shortly after that, the Winged Wheel of the Detroit Red Wings.
    If you ever want to go into logo overdrive, turn on a NASCAR race. I work for a racing magazine and my son will watch races with me for a few minutes at a time. He’ll sit and point “is that the candy car?” (Kurt Busch’s M&M car), “Is that the Target car?” (Juan Pablo Montoya’s Target car). “Is that the beer car?” oops… (Brad Keselowski’s Miller Lite car).
    Great post!

• Brent Almond says:

So I take it your son knew the letter “D” before any other, yes? :)

Yeah, those NASCAR cars (and drivers’ jumpsuits) are ridiculous with logos. I like to call that “logo salad”

And that’s hilarious about the “beer car” — just make sure he knows Miller Lite isn’t the ONLY beer. ;)

Thanks for your comment!
      DD

3. Heather says:

I am the same way with DD about logos (must be a marketer/graphic artist thing). Her first were Apple, VW and McDonalds. I am intrigued every time she mentions a new brand (that’s not Disney) and wonder how they represent themselves…now my passion that I’m passing on to her. Theatre! She’s seen more shows in her 5 years than I did by the time I went to college. She’s also learned about what people behind-the-scenes do (directors, stage managers, box office people). She asks a question and I tell her the real answer, and it hasn’t really destroyed the magic of theatre for her – I think it only makes her want to know more about it. :-)

• Brent Almond says:

Heather:
      Is she more of a singer, actor or dancer? Or is she a triple-threat like her Mom? :) What have been her favorite shows? Very cool that she’s getting to see the behind the scenes of it all. I’ll be she’d love to see people getting made up with wigs and costumes and make-up, too! :)
      DD

4. Julie says:

Zachary is really into logos, especially the ones for local events like the county fair (he had the tattoo of it on for a few days and so could spot the billboards around town all summer). Pretty sure he recognized the Target logo around age 2, and the Juice Shack (local smoothie chain) logo around age 3. The first words he read were probably Fab and Netflix, around age 4. And he recently surprised me by spotting the jug of bleach in the drugstore thanks to the Clorox logo (they advertise on Nick Jr On Demand, and those are pretty much the only commercials he sees).

• Brent Almond says:

Fab and Netflix made me laugh! I could write tons more on the amount JJ’s learned online and on my iPad/iPhone… And I love that DVR/on demand prevents from having to see all the commercials. Clorox is cool, but on the “older” channels, it’s non-stop toy & junk food commercials. Which is how it was when I was a kid, but that was just on Saturday AM. Now it’s available all-day, every day. Too much…
      DD

5. Love this. If there’d been a spinning mobile with DC comics logos on it, I would’ve hung it over my daughter’s crib early on. Luckily, she still became a geek like her dad.

Why have I never been to this blog before? Gonna have to fix that.

• Brent Almond says:

That DC comics logos mobile sounds like a cool craft project idea! ;) Or maybe hanging action figures? Glad she still geeked out alright anyway.

And I’m not sure how to answer your question, other than I never really met many other bloggers until the FB group, and that’s helped a lot, in terms of both motivation AND networking. Glad to have you here!

DD